Your health and wellbeing
Due to the nature of our work we are acutely aware of the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle and having a good work/life balance. NCL CCG strives to ensure that staff are provided with an environment and opportunities that encourage and enable a healthy life, both in the workplace and outside of it. There are a number of schemes and activities available which support your health and wellbeing.
The Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC) is a not for profit organisation, grant funded by the Cabinet Office, that supports the health and wellbeing of staff across the civil service and public sector by providing countless opportunities for members to pursue sporting, leisure and social interests; most often on a heavily subsidised basis. Membership is available to all public sector staff including contract and temporary staff and costs £4.50 per month. To find out more, visit the CSSC website for more information.
More information on the benefits of physical exercise can be found NHS Choices Benefits of exercise page.
Cutting down on alcohol can bring some great rewards. Not only will it mean a reduced risk to your health, but you could lose weight, feel better, and have more time and cash to spend on doing other things. To find out more, please visit the Don't Bottle It Up website.
If you or a friend/family member have issues with drugs there are a wide range of services to support you to make the changes that you want. Further information can be found on NHS choices - Drugs.
Below are links to websites that offer advice, videos, and guides to help you feel mentally and emotionally better.
- Scientific evidence points to five steps that we can take to improve our mental wellbeing. If you give them a try, you may feel happier, more positive and able to get the most from your life. More information can be found on NHS choices - Five steps to mental wellbeing.
- Mindfulness can be a very effective way of reducing stress, enjoying life more and understand ourselves better. Follow this link to NHS Choices - Mindfulness - give it a try.
- Find some top tips for managing stress here.
- The NHS website has lots of information and support for your mental health
- Uplifting resources - Chosen by NHS staff for NHS staff: The Health Education England national NHS Knowledge and Library Services team has worked with the Reading Agency to crowd-source some uplifting resources. They have been chosen by NHS staff for NHS staff and are ideal for boosting your mood. The selection of digital resources which include apps, podcasts and other online resources can be accessed via the Knowledge and Library Services website.
Having a balanced diet is key to our health and wellbeing. For more information visit NHS choices - Eating a balanced diet.
You can find all relevant HR and support-related information here.
Please note, some of this information is being frequently updated, so please keep checking back.
The CCG is delighted to announce that we have 6 members of staff who have completed their Mental Health First Aid training and have agreed to act as Mental Health and Wellbeing Champions for the organisation.
The champions have been trained as Mental Health First Aiders to enable supportive discussions regarding individual mental health and wellbeing and to signpost people in the right direction if required. Staff can contact any of our champions to talk about any areas of their wellbeing and mental health. Conversations will be completely confidential.
Full details, including the names and contact details of the champions, is available here.
Staff are able to claim a maximum of £20 towards an annual eyesight test, in line with display screen equipment (DSE) legislation. If the test shows that glasses are needed specifically for visual display unit work (i.e. computers), the CCG will make a contribution of up to £50 towards basic frames and lenses/contact lenses. Full details of the costs the CCG will cover, and how to make an expenses claim via Workforce, are available on the ‘claiming expenses’ section of the HR FAQs on the intranet.